HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used a tail fan to walk up on turkeys?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:57 PM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

That's the crazy thing...you don't really have to crawl. If you watched the video I put up you see how high my buddy stood. My reasoning behind the safety aspect in the open is pretty simple. The point at which you leave cover you are now obvious. If there was another hunter within range of you at that point it is highly likely that the two of you have made some sort of contact. If birds are in the wide open but close enough to cover to be within range of another hunter then he will have already shot. So by the time you get in range of the bird the chance of you being in range of another hunter is slim to non-existent.

I don't carry decoys in timber. I only use them in open situations. I have tried the fan thing one time and that was just after my buddy shot his bird last week. I used the decoy to see if the strutter was still in the county.

My brother has been shot 2 times....once by me and once by dad. The first time was on a quail hunt and the second time a rabbit hunt. Dad has had several close calls rabbit and quail hunting. What makes them more dangerous is that you are well within fatal range of a shotgun. In the turkey woods you generally are going to get shot at greater distances and outside of deadly range of a shotgun.