HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used a tail fan to walk up on turkeys?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

" Trust me...watching him try to sneak on one there is ZERO chance he will be mistaken for a turkey". Sorry, there is a chance of some fool shooting him. I have seen hunters in PA mistaken for a turkey because they had a red full beard, because the used a red or blue hankerchief, and other absolutly ridiculous excused. Much of this nonsense is because of the drive to be successful and have bragging rights. There is a mental condition that occurs when a person is so goal oriented that they see what they want to see and convince themselves what they are looking at is a turkey when indeed it is a human being. I have seen far too many people blinded on one or both eyes, have sever and traumatic other kinds of injuries, seen brother shoot brother, grandfather shoot and blind hs grandson. All of these things were because the shooters thought they were shooting at a turkey. So, no I won't trust you,( not calling you a liar, just addressing your statement). I have seen what can happen so there is no way I would ever sneak turkey behind a turkey fan, standing crawling or stupped over because indeed, there is a chance I would get shot in mistake for a turkey. No turkey or any other animal or bird is worth getting shot and on public land, your chances of something bad happening are even better than private. For those who do it, or think there is no danger, go ahead and do it, however, for those considering doing it, consider long and hard before you do. Every hunter should have to observe the aftermath of a hunter getting shot in the field, both immediately after it happens and the long range affects to the victim and their family, perhaps they would think differently about taking unnecessary chances just to shoot a piece of game.