HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used a tail fan to walk up on turkeys?
Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 AM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

I will try to get a video up later. My buddy has used this technique the last 5 seasons and it has done well for him. He limited out the last 2 years and about half of them came this way. I would advise against using this in timber.

For the record...we hunt public land in Alabama exclusively. Trust me...watching him try to sneak on one there is ZERO chance he will be mistaken for a turkey. He doesn't belly crawl. He squats low, sometimes crawls. He uses the technique to take birds in clear cut. Matter of a fact we have nicknamed him "Cutover".

Last week he and I set up on a dogwood the size of your arm in the middle of some clear cut. Just over the rise and down in a low spot was a strutter about 80 yards. 250 yards to the left a gobbling bird. 150 yards to the right in the timber 2 gobbling birds. at first he tried the "Chicken on a Stick". He saw what he thought was another gobbler so he backed up hoping to call them up to the rise for a double. We were trying to get the birds to the right but the left hand bird came in from 250 across the cutover to meet his maker at 33 yards. While we didn't get the bird with the decoy just the fact that the strutter never left the wide open after seeing my buddy almost completely standing up sold me on the technique.