HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used a tail fan to walk up on turkeys?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:16 AM
olsaltydog
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
So do all that say it is unsafe do they also shoot at a tail fan if that is all they see ? I think this is a bigger problem if you ask me maybe the safety classes need to stress this more don't shoot unless you are sure of the target and it is legal ! Just a thought !
This type of stuff should only be used in certain situations, public land with alot of people is not one of those places I would try it at. I see this as another tool in ones bag though, as said before I think it is relatively the same as plains Antelope hunters using the 2D cutout for stalking. Or the moose hunter using the boat paddle, or the turkey hunter using a fan to make the noise of turkeys coming down off of roost. You also have the guys that carry the whitetail decoy out into the field on public land or they walk through the woods with their antler packs placed on the tops of their backpacks. There are idiots out there that will shoot you in every single one of these situations if presented, that wont stop me from hunting.

Hunter Safety Courses do stress not pulling the trigger until target is clearly identified, the problem is too many people get shot because people don't ID their target and assume they are the only ones in the area. I have even had experience with this but because I waited to ID the target I didn't shoot another hunter. Which is what your supposed to do, that gave me the right to contact the local LEO as well.