HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 2 ~ Team Turknado
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 11:50 AM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA
Try 'small calls' and scratching in the leaves. Make a few tree calls, then no more yelps. Try using soft contented clucks, and maybe a purr or two every 15-20mins, and scratching. Try sounding like a happy feeding hen.

Are you putting a decoy out?
Decoy wouldn't have helped. Too thick. Trust me. I tried everything. Aggressive. Clucks, purrs. Soft calling. No calling. Mouth call. Aluminum pot, slate pot, ceramic pot. Kee-Kees. Scratch box. Leaf scratching (wet pine needles don't work well). I got the one bird that busted me to come in pretty quick. He never gobbled. I had a pine on my left side instead of sitting with my back to it. I had to try and sneak a peek at him after he came out of a draw about 35-40 yards out. He came out of the draw further left than I expected. Even after he busted me and putted off I kept the other birds gobbling. They just wouldn't leave the old skidder trail.

They had a couple hens with 'em and they just aren't ready yet. I heard the birds at 7:45a and they gobbled on and off till 12:45 when 3 deer came in downwind and started blowing at me. When I walked on up where they had been I could see why they wouldn't leave it. It was open and perfect for them to strut in. Old skidder trail on peak of ridge that ran out to the point of the finger coming off main ridge. In hindsight I might have been able to slip back some below the ridge peak and slip up to the skidder trail.