HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Called in some possible poachers
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Wilcam47
Nontypical Buck

Default Called in some possible poachers

My wife and I went out looking for antler sheds, driving around on our atv, having a nice afternoon. We came across 4 elk then I took her to a nice place where Ive seen a few deer overlooking a huge plot of fields. Lo and behold a huge herd of elk. We sat at watched them from a distance for a good while.

Then in a field to the left of where the herd was I noticed a truck parked on a ridge...I told my wife they prob saw them too. after a while one rifle shot and shortly after a second rifle shot. Then the elk herd started running to the woods from the field. No other shots prior to or after. So we book it out of there go to the house and get the phone to call it in to the sheriff. While we were on the phone with the sheriff office the truck comes down out of the field and I ask them what they are doing.??

They guy claims to have been teaching his kids to shoot a gun. And that he was a tribal member...blah blah blah...I believe he was taking a pop shot at some elk and got worried he was busted. I didnt tell him we were on the phone with the sheriff...lol

At about the same time at the end of the public road by the highway someone was fixing a flat so I helped them out and I noticed the truck that had the possible poachers go east out of the area. The highway was maybe 1/4 mile from where they turned out into the field. So my guess is they thought there was a road block and they booked it out of the area the opposite way.

If they werent poaching they were harassing wildlife...because the elk were grazing there for a while since they didnt seem spooked at all. If there was gunshots they wouldnt have even been there.