HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Differences in North American and European grouse hunting
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM
ArttuJ
Spike

I understand your point, it might sound a bit unfair, but it is far from being easy. First of all black grouse is highly intelligent and cautious bird, they will see you from long distances so you rarely get very close to shoot. so at first you have to be a decent shooter. AND shooting at the wild is quite different business then shooting on the track. I get 1 inch holes at 150 meters in ideal conditions at track with my rifle on a good day so way under MOA but in the forest it is whole different business. Better not to shoot if you are not sure that you can hit.

Grouse, and even more the capercaillie are higly valued in here too but suppose they are more common or less hunters hunting them, so populations tend to get fairly large in many years if nesting and winter have been good. The hunting season is very short too, mainly because over-hunting in the southern finland where the populations are getting smaller. not that problem here in the east, but the season is only 8 weeks.

Hunting from any vehicle is against the law in here but sometimes hear people doing it. Though when other hunters hear about that it is informed to the law or dealed inside the community itself. That kind of behavior is nottolerated and brings a bad rep on all of us.

Pointers are used sometimes, I have one myself (he is a mongrel though, so bit too interested of hares too). Also one difference I have noticed to other european countries is that here scandinavia hunting is more of a solitary business atleast when hunting upland birds, whereas they hunt in parties in UK and middle-Europe. Might be wrong in this but that the picture I have. Hope somebody correct me if I am wrong.