HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 2 ~ Team Turknado
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM
JoeA
Nontypical Buck

Any turkey wearing a grass skirt & coconut shell top would get a pass from me.

Here's the numbers from the first one I busted.
wt: 16#
beard: 6"
L spur: .875"
R spur .75"
NWTF Score: 44.25

I shot this joker at 15yds. I sat under a scrubby tree/bush uphil from where I had heard a few gobblers the morning before. I waited for the first hen to tree call before I made any calls. I heard 2 gobbles 60-70yds to my 1-2 o'clock. After a 5-10mins, I heard him fly down, but couldn't see anything. He was across a treeline, in a open area I know. Over the next 35-40mins, I responded to 3-4 hens at my 12, 10 and 9). The whole time, a gobbler repsonded to just about every call, from me or the real hens. Once he sounded like he was moving off, I angled to my right moving about 50yds closer to the tree line. I called softly and he gobbled right back, but farther. I waited 5mins, and heard one hen do a kee-kee and then some cuts. I moved 10yds closer behind a fallen tree and tall grass. I called 2 X and he gobbled sounding like he was moving off with his hens. I waited and he gobbled closer to the opening in the treeline about 40yds away. I waited some more, and he gobbled even closer...then I see his head at the grass tops. He was following a shallow dry wash into the field he thought I was in.

As soon I could see his beard, at 7am I punched his ticket. It was a cold drizzly AM, and being the only hunter in that area helped. Good packable rain gear is a great thing to have!
Attached Images  

Last edited by JoeA; 03-18-2015 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo