HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 Blackout
Thread: 300 Blackout
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

My 300 blackout experience was long before AAC ever took claim to it - I had two 300 Whisper's, and remain to be unimpressed by the Blackout version. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but I think its recent popularity is based more on fashion trend than on actual performance. The sub-sonic stuff is woefully underpowered and has a very poor trajectory, but it's very quiet and hits hard enough to kill coyotes. The standard velocity stuff through a suppressor is a lot more functional, and still quiet enough to make for discreet night hunting. I'm sure that you're aware of the trajectory limitations, but one of my hunting buddies who has a 300blk mentioned once that the sub-sonic loads will completely miss a coyote if you incorrectly estimate the range between 200-250yrds even by 5-10yrds. Great anchor for 150yrds and less, but my buddy is an accomplished shooter and his comment is that it's not a 200+ calling rifle for him with subsonic loads. I ran super sonics in my Whispers, and had very similar results.

Other than sub-sonic super-heavyweight loads, I haven't seen the 300 Blk/whisper do anything that a 7.62x39mm or 6.8spc/6.5Grendel doesn't do.

My buddy has reverted to the hornady 110 V-max load through a can, and it's very well behaved - even though I get more out of a Mini-30 in x39 or a 6.8spc. It's a great anchor for coyotes, and like any of the larger calibers, it can get a bit messy if you hit anything hard.

The advantage to the lower velocity on the 300Whisper is really that you can drive a bit more penetration without as much potential for blowing nasty exit wounds. My buddy tends to get exit wounds most of the time, but they're relatively well behaved.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 09-25-2016 at 12:11 PM.