HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Feeding/Cycle Issue
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
underloaded is my guess or the wrong powder for an auto
RR
The Silver State Armory stuff (made by Nosler) is SUPPOSED to be designed/loaded specifically for autos, about the only thing they make is auto-fodder: 6.8, 223/5.56, 308, 3006, 300 blackout. I suppose it's fair to say that the SSA is the cheap, bulk/surplus ammo line for Nosler. Really only marketed towards ammo burners and preppers though. It was one of the first places that did offer 6.8SPC factory custom ammo though.

I'm not sure if SSA ever updated to the Spec II pressures, I've heard that they are not.

I've also heard that most of the Bison uppers come with adjustable lo-pro blocks, so if it's tuned for the 110 V-max or 120 SST dwell time, it'll just need to be opened up a bit for the smaller pills.

The 6.8 SPC is really finicky in an 18" length, absolutely NEEDS to have a mid-length gas system, otherwise you end up with undergassing with anything but the hottest of loads, and even in a mid-length, they're really sensitive to dwell time - the lighter pills just aren't really happy about life. Learned that one the hard way after being too stubborn to listen to more experienced guys trying to warn me.

For what it's worth, I've had terrible luck with the SSA's for accuracy, and haven't ever cared to run the lighter pills for the 6.8 anyway (bc's are terrible), so I haven't shot them much myself.