HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any Tick prevention advice?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:14 AM
deerdust
Super Moderator

Several years ago, while outfitting a new piece of property, I was enjoying the bliss of being on a new property with tons of deer sign. The guy I was working with, although traveling through the same brush as me, spent his day picking ticks off himself. Then after he got home would still find more attached.

The difference? He was using 40% deet spray (I think ticks feed on deet. Lol), it sure doesn't stop them. I was wearing my permethrin treated clothing. I soon gave him some to use and he is now an avid believer of permethrin.

The only thing that will keep ticks off of you is never going to the woods. Using permethrin will drastically reduce actual bites though. I have watched ticks on my pants running in circles to find a way off. Lol There are, as others have stated, things that you still need to do to reduce contact. I treat several sets of clothing (shirt, pants, socks). I also treat the inside and outside of my rubber boots. They may crawl in, but have nowhere to go that isn't treated before they die. They can still get to your arms and head, but I generally feel them before they get too far.

During tick season, I don't go to the woods without my treated clothing. Trust me, it works.

Last edited by deerdust; 03-12-2015 at 10:18 AM.