HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey decoy setup questions
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Mastevt
Nontypical Buck

Couple years back I hunted a bird that I watched several guys hunt to no avail. When I finally hunted him, he had a bunch of hens with him, and would not respond to any decoys or calling. Then, after watching him for several hours, I witnessed another tom, and jake enter the pasture, making their way toward this tom and his hens. Then, all at once, he took off after the 2 newcomers, and ripped into them, and chased them off the pasture. He then gathered up his hens, and exited the pasture in the far corner. The next morning, I set up in that corner. I used an old jake fan I had cured and mounted on a stake. I set the hen out 30 yards from the corner, with a jake following her, and the fanned tail pinned right behind him. Maybe 10 feet apart from each other. When it got first light, the tom was roosted in a tree to my right about 15 yards, and I could tell he could see my set up, because he never stopped gobbling. He flew down in front of me at 10 yards and just stood there gobbling at my set up. After ten minutes or so, I dropped the firing pin on him. I never even pulled out my calls, because I knew he would not respond, but he would be fired up if he thought a jake was moving in on his territory. Long story I know, but my point is, knowing your bird, and how he reacts will go along way in carrying him to your tailgate.