HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:02 AM
toytruck
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
I'm uncertain about the "youth mentor" program that PA now has in place. I know it has a meaningful purpose, but I have a feeling that some undesirables actually use this as an outlet for their own benefit. Oh well, that's a whole new topic for us to discuss later.
He killed his first buck the next season, and 5 more after that. He no longer hunts, but it's not because he has a problem with hunting. He has a professional career now and he's still climbing ladders. As he explained it to me... my time off is very limited and I love to fish, (as do I) so I'd rather fish when I have the time. As he told me... I can fish year around, but I can only deer hunt part of the year so I'd rather fish.

I guess it's a matter of... "To each his own"...

BPS
I hear you on the undesirables idea...I have often wondered just how a 4 or 5 y/o was able to kill a nice buck or doe. Maybe I'm wrong, hope so...

My oldest son had a similar experience as your son. I was with him when he was still in highschool, he had taken hunter safety an was licensed for the first time. I was behind him at our spot on public land during hunters choice day when a group of three does came up the ridge. He said he couldn't see them for a good shot. I could have gotten the lead doe, but not with him in front of me, so they ran off and went off by my BIL who didn't see them either...

That son also loves to fish and had never killed a deer till this past fall he wanted to go with me again at age 39. I took him where I had seen a big racked buck an as luck would have it he actually had the deer come in close an he killed it. A nice 8 pt. bigger than the one I shot in early muzzleloader season. Now I think he is hooked and wants to go again this fall. Even after the gutting/skinning/butchering lesson.