HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How many different muzzleloaders have you had multiple big game harvests with?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 PM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
Hunter Safety classes are still free here last I heard. I went with my then 12 y/o grandson back 3 years ago when it was a 8 hr. all day class. We both got 100 on the final test...I agree they should take the course first before hunting. Dad wouldn't let my brother or I hunt till we did.
Yep, still free....though they don't offer the full day class anymore to my knowledge. Now you have to take like 4 days, 2hrs a day or something. I took my kids about 4-5yrs ago... it was actually pretty fun. I enjoyed it and my kids learned alot.
My son was 12 but had already been hunting with me about 5yrs and killed a half dozen deer by that point, but the classroom training added alot of value to his field training with me.

I actually like VA's way of doing things and their apprentice program. I also don't understand why some states don't allow young kids to hunt until they reach a certain age first. Some kids certainly aren't ready at young ages, but there are plenty that are mature enough to be able to hunt (with supervision of course).

Of course I do believe they should all have the hunters safety course and a few years of supervised hunting before being allowed to hunt solo.