HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Saw something weird yesterday.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM
X_Rayted35
Spike

Default Saw something weird yesterday.

So I was taking my lab out to pee at ~10:30 yesterday morning when I heard barking. It was the type of barking when the dog sees something it doesnt like so I looked around. There was something black halfway across my farm going crazy. I could tell it was frantic because of how it was barking and it looked like he was running back and forth. There are several black labs near by so just figured it was one of them but I ran in and grabbed my binoculars anyways. What I saw was a black coyote barking at a Buck. It was pretty far away but he looked like a decent size, wasnt a spike or yearling. There were 3 things strange about this. First of all I never see my Coyotes out in a field. Also why was he just barking at this Deer from about 6 feet away? Second is I never see deer in that field this late in the morning. Finally why the hell wasnt that deer running?

I ran in and grabbed my .270 and shot twice. Of course I missed but I did get the Coyote away from the deer. I didnt realize how far a shot it was until I went to the location I saw them at and marked it with my GPS. When you have to zoom out so far to fit both my house and where the animals were that the scale switches to .5 miles thats pretty damn far lol. By this time the Deer was gone and I have no clue where he ran off too. Also havent seen the Yote since then. I know he hangs around there because my neighbor's son missed him 2 weeks ago. Trapper should be coming this week or next so I will get him.

This is the first time I have seen a Coyote interact with a Deer with my own eyes. Why didnt this rocket scientist of a deer just run away? He just stood there with his head down and rear end hunched up. Sometimes he would just ignore the Coyote but it didnt look like he was feeding. Was he injured or sick or something? I guess I should start looking for Buzzards soon because Im sure the Coyotes will eventually win.

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 01-05-2015 at 12:24 PM.