HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Neck shots for whitetails?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 AM
buckman11
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I doubt seriously that those friends that "barely nicked the neck" didn't have to make a killing shot after the deer went down unless they cut the jugular! I learned that a long time ago when that was the only shot I had on a doe and I wacked her with my 06 at about 40 yards and just as I shot she turned her head a little. She dropped like she was hit over the head with a sledge hammer and started what I thought was her "death kick". I got my stuff together in the tree stand and when I looked up she was on her feet and walking wobbily straight away and not offering any kind of a shot. I got down, went back to the cabin because it was almost dark and got a gas lantern to track her. There were only a few little spots of blood on the light snow the first fifty yards and I followed her tracks for 1/2 mile with no sign that she was even hit. That, I can guarantee, was from one of those "barely nicked the neck" shots and the only deer I've ever shot at and lost, but I'm convinced she walked off just shaken up and I've never taken that shot again. At least the OP didn't talk head shots, as that would have really got me started, LOL!
Yea I see what your saying. I was with these buddies in their stand when they nicked the neck. I guess it just happened to grab enough of something vital to knock em over. Its not a shot I really want to take, I'd take a shoulder/chest shot over a neck any day. But if the neck is all Ive got, And at a reasonable distance, I will take it.

Dont even get me started on head shots. There are dome fools around here that buy .308's, 25/06 Etc so they have the accuracy just to take head shots. That burns me up something awful!!!