HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need Wasp/Hornet help!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 11:42 AM
X_Rayted35
Spike

Default need Wasp/Hornet help!

I have an enclosed wooden stand. Really nice stand with a tin roof so its perfect for hunting in a light rain. Ended up buying 2 of them but only having a Hornet problem with one. Its sitting right in front of some tall pines with a row of 4 year old planted pines to the right. 60 acre field is directly in front of the stand with tree line on the left. I always see deer there including some really good looking young bucks already outside the ears.

But every year about November and December wasps and hornets just hang out in there. They dont build a nest they just fly around. 2 years ago I went up there one morning before the sun came up. For some reason I just happened to shine my flashlight into one of the corners. The entire thing was big ass black swamp hornets like 2 inches long. I damn near had a heart attack and I think I hit maybe 1 step on the way down.

This past week its been the same thing. Wasps flying around but not building a nest. I was going to hunt it yesterday but moved to another stand when 3 of them started walking across the shooting ledge of the main window. Just went back there 30 mins ago with some Spray and used the entire can. Probably killed a dozen but didnt get them all. I cant see a nest anywhere, either inside or outside.

So what can I do about them? I thought about getting a caulk gun and sealing up all the cracks with some silicon. I think they were getting up inside the roof to stay warm. If that doesnt work then what? Anyone have any ingenious ideas for dealing with Hornets?