HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Texas Hill Country Buck
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 06:58 AM
ipscshooter
Boone & Crockett

Default Texas Hill Country Buck

Got a nice buck in the Texas Hill Country during the Sunday evening hunt on 11/16. Saturday and Sunday morning I had hunted a "guest" blind on my friend's lease. Saw several nice deer, but all too young for the lease's management plan. My buddy shot a management buck early in the afternoon, so he let me hunt his blind for the evening. As he hasn't had a shot at what the lease considers a "trophy" buck, I asked whether, if one came out, it would be OK if I took a shot. He said that if I saw a nice one I should go ahead and shoot.

There were actually four mature deer that came past his blind that evening. First one was similar to the one I took, though an inch or so less inside spread. Second one had longer G2's, but the first one chased him off so quickly that I didn't get much chance to look him over. The third had a cool 8 point rack with the brow tines higher on the rack than any other buck I'd seen. This guy was the best. Remington 700, 7mm-08, Remington green box 140 PSP Core-Lokt, Pentax 4-12X scope.

This is my 11th year hunting as a guest on the lease and have taken 8 bucks there. This one is the biggest, weighing 150 lbs and scoring 118 1/8. I know he's not huge compared to some areas of the country but, in the Hill Country, he's a very good buck.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ipscshooter; 11-20-2014 at 07:03 AM.