HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 10
Thread: Team 10
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 AM
bristowboy_20
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by W9ARcher
Seems like you both hunt with cross bows so I have a question. What is the farthest you feel comfortable shooting at a large buck with a bolt? After seeing all those shooters last week in the 50 to 80 yard range, I thought I needed to upgrade to a cross bow to reach out to them. Stopped by my favorite archery shop and the owner said cross bows don't really reach out that far since they make so much noise and the deer react before a bolt hits it mark beyond 40 yards.

My grandpa used to shoot deer with a cross bow out to 75 yards but he hunted inside a wooden blind so I'm guessing that helped dampen the sounds.

Guess I'll just have to adjust my stand locations to get them in closer as I doubt I'll be switching to a cross bow for another 10 years. I refuse to hunt within enclosed stand as I love the view from up high and unrestricted. Wind is a pain though......

Just wondering......Good Luck
I know guys that will shoot 80 yards with a good crossbow. They do reach out farther than a compound bow. As for myself, I probably wouldn't shoot at something much farther than 50 yards with my crossbow. It's a 150 lb Barnett Jackal. I got mine at Rural King for $250. Walmart had them for $350. Hunting with a bow is funner than a crossbow IMO but I couldn't find a bow I liked that was in my price range.