HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Back2Back Champs - TEAM PASS THRU
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 AM
Outdoorcountry
Fork Horn

Yeah, it's on for sure! I follow Charles Alsheimer and his hunting by the moon theories. From my observations they seem to hold true year to year. He basically strips it down to the rut is around the 2nd full moon after the autumn equinox (AKA the rutting moon) which this year is November 6th.

He breaks the rut down to 3 phases: Seeking Phase, Chasing Phase, & Breeding Phase. Right now (Seeking phase) is my favorite time to hunt because the bucks are getting anxious but the does aren't interested yet. You can bleat, grunt, and/or rattle and those bucks come in on a string.
Once the does start to go into estrous, the bucks chase them but the does still aren't ready to breed. This time is frustrating for me to hunt because you see a lot of bucks and they are running around but you can't get them to stop for a shot! From my observations, this phase is short (1 day), The breeding phase is equally frustrating for me because the buck is glued to the does side. If she's bedding, so is he. If she's eating, he just hangs next to her and waits. They really don't move much. Although you can beat the snot out of some rattling antlers and if your buck to doe ratio is 2:1 or better, you can bring in some bucks looking for leftovers!

I took a walk though the woods on my lunch break Tuesday (My lease is only 5 miles from work). I found a scrape line and one of the scrapes was 5 foot in diameter! I'm looking forward to hunting there this weekend! Get it the woods boys! It's on!