HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question for the gunsmiths
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 07:27 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Default Question for the gunsmiths

I recently inherited and old Rem Model 700 in 7mm Mag that was owned by my late father. He bought it soon after the cartridge was released in the early 1960's and the barrel is pretty much shot out. I have a Rem Model 700 7mm Mag of my own that I have been carrying since I was 13 so I don't need another one but the rifle has a lot of sentimental value to me so I don't want to kust send it down the road.

I have a new unfired barrel for a Rem Model 700 in 30-06 that a friend gave me after he bought a rifle for the action to build a wildcat on. I'm thinking about removing the shot out 7mm barrel and replacing it with the 30-06 barrel since I don't have an 06 right now.

My question is two fold:

1) Do I also need to replace the bolt since the base dimensions for the 2 rounds are not the same. The 30-06 is slightly smaller in both base diameter and rim thickness but I don't know if it is enough to make a major difference.

2) Will I need to have any work done on the feed rails or will the 30-06 feed smoothly on the factory rails?

Any info that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Flags