HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who has put sand in a rifle stock for recoil?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:58 AM
White Oak 06
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If I understand, you must have a synthetic stock with some voids that are accessible, and you're wanting to load them with something like sand or lead shot to add weight to the gun. Well, that will certainly reduce the recoil that is felt by the shooter.

There may be easier ways to do this, such as installing a better recoil pad.

One thing that strikes me though, is that you're attributing your son's shooting high to his lack of weight. This makes no sense to me. If this is really the only issue, and he shoots good groups otherwise, the gun needs to be sighted in for him and the way he holds it, etc.
You have a good point. Some don't agree with led sleds, but from personal experience I can have bullet holes touching and it be spot on in the field.
(I let my barrels cool for each and every shot) I can do the same with the sled with him on the scope and trigger, but once he shoulders it with it resting the fore end , I don't think there's enough weight behind the recoil. I use a 19 lb. weight for my 3006. Recoil for the 06 is somewhere around this # maybe I should use a 12 or 15 lb weight. Thanks.