HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "Dad's" Elk
Thread: "Dad's" Elk
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default "Dad's" Elk

I am an Alabama flat lander that has always wanted to hunt elk. But due to several reasons, I procrastinated until the day in 2010 when one of my best hunting buddies suddenly died of a rare form of lukemia. So .... I started putting a few dollars here and there aside and I booked a hunt in 2012. And after a two year wait, on September 27, I jumped in my truck for a 3 day drive to Raton, New Mexico .... to hunt elk.

The day before I left, I spent the afternoon with my 90 year old father, who was living at a VA facility near where I live. He had entered the facility some 14 months earlier suffering from advancing dementia, COPD and other ailments typical of the elderly. The last thing he told me was to have a great time and get a "big one". I kissed him, told him I loved him and went home to pack.

The day that I arrived at camp, my brother called to tell me that dad had passed away peacefully early that morning. We debated some and my brother convinced me to stay and hunt. So I did so carrying a mixed bag of emotions and some guilt.

The first day I saw my first bulls. Too late getting there. Still too far away for my shooting skills.

The second day's hunt that day had about every every element that I guess was possible .... began with a wildly windy, foggy morning ..... then a long and lung burning walk through ridge after ridge, nearly enough to do in a 66 year old out of shape busted up ex-jock .... bulls bugeling .... my guide calling a nice 5x5 and me passing .... missing a massive 7x7 in the middle of the morning that I tried at 275 yards with no decent rest ... a clean miss thankfully .... and late that day my guide calling down of the hillside, out of the cedars two great looking 6x6's, including an old, palmatted bull that was felled by my shot. The kill was quick. As I stood over that magnificent animal, I wept like a child. The bull was green scored 324 3/4". Big enough for me ... and I indeed had a great time.

Thanks for the trip "pop" .... all 66 years worth.

Last edited by Mojotex; 10-14-2014 at 06:25 PM.