HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tell me your routine...
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 03:11 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

The black diamond might be a dirty rifle but its a good shooter. I switched to the #11 nipple and shoot a magnum cap. It sure cut down on the fouling in the breech. But as for what I do between shots... ok!

Boom!! I fired off the shot. Pull the hammer back opening the striker. With it open, I take a patch and spritz it with Windex or Isopropyl Alcohol. Then I carefully swab the barrel. Work it over in short strokes. When it is all swabbed, you can run a dry patch if you like. But if you do that, do it every time. When the rifle is swabbed, I normally rest it in the shade of my shooting bench and walk down and check the target.

On return from the target I then load it as normal and shoot again. At the end of the day, I like to swab the barrel with a WET patch while outside. Sometimes I will swab two of them through it. Then I take the rifle in the house and break it down. Barrel off, back set knob out, striker out, etc.. I then clean all the parts and put it back together again. I clean it with soap and water or some black powder solvent. What ever suits me.