HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First season hunting with Recurve
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM
burniegoeasily
Dominant Buck

Relax and wait for the shot. If you have been hunting with a compound, with high let off, you need to remember you will not be able to draw and hold. As for your set up I am somewhat concerned. Carbon arrows are going to be pretty light per inch for decent penetration out of a 45# bow. I can only assume you are pushing a 300-400 grain arrow (9 or so grains per inch). If you have not weighted them, you are probably not going to get good penetration. Also, what head weight are you pushing? I would assume light (125) for the arrow you describe. Fixed heads are the way to go and a double blade is even better than a three blade. I use 600+ arrows with a minimum of 145 grain, two blade head. I usually shoot a longbow in the range of 62-70lbs, depending on what setup I grab. Or should say, use to grab. I am dealing with a hand issue that is going to put my longbows on the bench this season. First time in over 20+ years I have had to hunt with a compound.

As for hunting style. What ever the opportunity gives me. I usually start in a tree. If I spot deer moving to where they will not come down the trail I am hunting over, I might get down and try to set up to ambush. I have hunted my land for a long time and pretty much know where the trails are and how the deer tend to move.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.