HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo suggestions for new 45-70 Govt.
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Hatchie, I bought 2 boxes of Buffalo bore in 45 Cold to use on a wild boar hunt in GA. When I went to sight the gun in with the ammo I found the recoil ridiculous and it would lossen the cylinder pin on my new model Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. I had a stronger spring installed on the pin, then I used common sense and decided to use the Leverevolution .45 Cold ammo instead. I am not afraid of recoil, but I was not going to beat my gun to pieces. I sold the Buffalo bore ammo for half price to get rid of it. If I was going to hunt Cape Buffalo I would want the Buffalo bore, not for what I use it for. Nothing I hunt won't die from the leverevolution ammo.
OT I can believe it. Don't get me wrong, the BuffBore is GREAT ammo & REALLY maximizes a guns full potential! But I just don't need that much recoil & blast in a "brush gun" for deer. I've considered a .45LC Ruger loaded with BuffBore but I'd have to use hearing protection while hunting with ANY big bore revolver so I'd load it for bear as well.

I likewise use the 220grn BuffBores in my 35 Marlin but it is MUCH MORE civil than the heavy loads he makes for the 45-70. (This load in my 35 has stavedoff my buying a BLR in 358... for now) In the past I've even considered getting a Marlin 1894 in 45LC to specifically put BuffBore hardcast in but then that's kinda redundant when I already have my Guidegun.