HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Serious video trail cam users
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM
littlearrow
Nontypical Buck

I have had access of up to 40 trail cameras of various brands. Some of these were: 1)returned for repair, 2)returned and due to repair costs, the company offered a discount on an up grade. 3)several of the early versions which only took picture were sold when cameras came out that would take video. Video is my interest. I have one total black flash (not visible to the human eye) but another camera set up in the vicinity will detect it at night, showing it like a white flash. 4)some of my newer cameras have the audio function, which is nice if set up over baits where deer, bears, turkeys etc. come and either communicate, fight etc.
My cameras are all set up facing along a trail, approximately at the 3-4 foot level. All near by brush, grass etc. is trimmed and removed to prevent false triggers. I try to face my cameras in a northerly direction to prevent white outs or over exposure from the rising or setting sun. Later in the fall, the sun travels in a lower arc in the south, which is not acceptable as in early to mid summer where it travels overhead.
Facing the camera along the trail gives the camera a chance to wake up. Cameras go into a sleep mode to save power when no movement is detected.
When swapping out my SD cards, I randomly check the batteries using a digital meter. For me battery percentage is not accurate enough. I travel 45 and 55 miles one way to my sites, checking every 10 days to two weeks if time permits.
Depending on snow conditions and animal movement frequency, my cameras are usually set out around end of February-mid March to December-mid December.
At present I have 21 trail cameras with 14 set out in several areas.
Our animal population is extremely low due to having three longer than normal winters with colder temperatures and deep snow. This year there were areas with snow into early June, severe spring flooding and an enormous amount of rain this summer and now early fall. Many animals died during this type of winter, while others aborted the young due to lack of green grass etc. for nourishment before giving birth.
I hope this information is helpful. Good luck.