HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Colorado/Let's go hunting
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 PM
bronxmurdock1
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
If I was back that way I'd hook you up as a service to one military member from another. But, I'm in AL right now and will be for at least the next few months. I'll be back for antelope season but there is no way for you to get a tag for the unit I have since they are all sold out.

If you are active duty then you are automatically considered a resident if you got stationed there, you just need a copy of your orders to show when you buy a tag. That means the licenses will be a whole lot cheaper. This also makes you eligible for the Ranching for Wildlife Program and those can be some great hunts. The left over licenses just went on sale so you may want to get a regulations brochure and see if any of them are for around the Springs. Plus you can buy an over the counter bull elk tag until the season closes. There are usually a lot of left over cow elk tags available for the area around Craig. The DOW maintains an office in Craig and can point you in the right direction if you want to put a cow elk in the freezer.

If you're stationed at Petersen or the Academy then next year look into hunting on base. They issue limited tags for does and cows to keep the herds in check. Probably too late to do it this year but it is still worth checking into.

If no locals come forward to help you, go to the nearest DOW office, I think there is one in the Springs. They have pretty knowledgeable people that can answer questions and give some input but it will be of a general nature. Lots of the info like harvest stats, licenses, preference points, maps etc... is on the DOW website. Spend some time there.

I may be back that way for longer than the antelope hunt but right now I'm not sure. Feel free to PM me if you want some info on specific things in CO. I'm a 5th generation native and have hunted all over the state for everything except moose since the DOW doesn't seem to want to give me a tag despite trying for nearly 20 years.
Thank you for the response. I will check into the local DOW. Hopefully some people speak up.
I have spent some time in the mountains, and feel comfortable hunting deer and elk if I get the tag.

I'm hoping some locals speak up about prairie dogs/coyote hunting East of 25.

Please when you get back to Colorado let me know.