HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Just a little TLC...
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Default Just a little TLC...

Hello all,

I recently had the pleasure of doing a little TLC work on an American classic... a Stevens Crackshot Model 26. My cousin acquired the little rifle through some sort of trade with his cousin (on his mom's side) and although it's in overall very good condition, the lever wouldn't stay in the "up" or closed position unless it was held there. My initial inspection led me to believe that the breech block spring was broken.

When I disassembled the action, I discovered that most of the screws were loose, almost to a point where I could hold the screwdriver bit in my fingers and back them out. Upon further inspection, I realized there was nothing wrong with the gun, it was just so gummed up with old oil that the breech block spring couldn't move freely. I scrubbed the old crud from all of the parts with brass and nylon brushes and cleaned them all thoroughly, freed up the breech block spring, cleaned out the open receiver, oiled everything up and then re-assembled the rifle. It opens and closes with a nice little snap just as it should and it's not gonna cost my cousin a dime in parts.

The bore was absolutely filthy so I ran a loose patch soaked with KROIL through it and let it stand overnight. The next day I commenced cleaning it and other than some light pitting near the breech it looks pretty darn good.

The stock has some minor scuffs and scratches but no chips, cracks, or dents. I'm gonna see if he's willing to swap for something I have of equal value. It's a real little cutie and I figure it's worth $140-150...

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 08-07-2014 at 11:30 AM.