HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you call for deer?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunted white tails in the southeastern US for over 50 years. Some in Texas as well. I have used the "grunt" call and the "bleat" calls along the way ... including one made by Primos that is essentially a modification of a way back when kid's "cow moo" toy.

I have had very little success with the grunt calling except on a couple of Texas hunts. For whatever reason, the bucks where I hunted in Texas responded well to grunting and came to see what was going on. I would say in the 40+ years I have hunted in Alabama, Arkansas and Missippi, I can count less than 10 times I have had a positive response to grunting ..... but the ones that did come in were all nice, mature bucks. And I have never once, since 1964, heard the so called "snort - wheeze" sequence.

I have had essentially zero results using the bleat "can" other than having a doe or two come looking and on one occasion unintentionally calling in a coyote. I no longer bother carrying that call.

Bottom line for me, I would say that grunting may work to some degree, but only when the does are in heat and bucks are very actively attempting to round up a willing mate.