HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bow sight...to change or not to change
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 AM
timmyzimmy
Fork Horn

KNOW YOUR DISTANCE. And this is the my simple way of dealing with it.

I have a one and a half pin. I tried a 3 pin for about ten minutes and said no way. Went back to a single pin.

I'm zero'd in at 20 yards, which is good from 0-28 yards. Then I marked the pin post at 35 yards and use it from30-45 yards. To shoot past 60, I'm actually outside the pin guard. Shooting distance is fun but my farthest shot at a animal was last year at 24 yards.

I don't use a rangefinder but pre-season i stake out 20 yards and 33 yards in my shooting lanes. And I've practiced enough where, I can make the small adjustments on the fly. I'll walk around and pick random distances... looks about 28 yards- aim 5" high, 24 yards - aim 2" high. 32 yards - next pin and 1" low.

About 10 years about I froze on a Booner because I thought he was too far. He was on a hot doe and she ran right under me but he wouldn't come down the ridge. I thought that ridge HAD to be 45 yards away....He stood there for 8 minutes. Turned out he was 28 yards.... He should be on the wall....So I promised myself that wouldn't happen again. Last year was my first 10 pointer, and even tho I could feel the my pulse in the back of my neck, I still could read his tail and ears (knew he was calm and not on alert), gave him time to turn broadside AND let him move his front foot forward. Waited for his head to go behind a tree to draw. The yearly busted me drawing but the buck thought it bolted cuz of him. Found boiler room, aimed 1" up and let it go. This was the first deer out of 12 that I didn't see the arrow hit the animal. Which is something I preach about. KNOW where you hit it, so you can go after it in the right time frame. Left to right I knew I was good but I was clueless on height. Turns out I hit the trifecta, double lunger and caught a blade on the heart.

Point being. Now I only give distance a spilt second of thought and only having ONE pin helps this. Then I start thinking bout all the OTHER things that are going on. Shooting now, is just a reaction instead of THE action.

Last edited by timmyzimmy; 06-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.