HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do different cases matter?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 AM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

Been reloading since the early 1950s. All cases are not created equal. Case thickness is very important. Some cases are very thick (heavy). Reloading manuals specify a specific brand of cartridge case. If the data you are using was developed using a thinner case, you must be careful with heavy powder loads when using a different brand case.

Example: Other components being equal, you cannot safely load a maximum specified powder charge into a .308 case that is ten grains heavier than the case specified for the maximum load.

i have Excel charts of the average case weights of all brands for each caliber i reload for. Cases used for my accuracy loads are weighed and segregated by weight.

On the average, .30-06 Remington cases are 10 grains heavier than their Winchester counterpart. For my maximum .30-06 loads i use Winchester cases.

Sometimes i will load up plinking ammo using cases from several manufacturers with a light to moderate powder charge. BTW: They are usually quite accurate.

Be very careful when reloading 7.62 foreign military cases for use in the .308: Some are very thick.

Last edited by falcon; 05-12-2014 at 04:51 AM.