HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 700 bolt spring change.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking Remington 700 bolt spring change.

Coflicting data on just how many pounds the bolt spring is on a Remington 700 Muzzle loader. One source says 22 pounds and another claims 24 pounds. Brownells has sold a stronger spring for a long time to replace the factory spring. I wanted to buy a couple and replace my stock springs,( read story here, [url]http://thunderbucks.com/tbforum/inde...pic,657.0.html] )as to why I decided to replace them.

Brownells either were out or no longer handles them when I went to order them. But I found out ( thank you Josmund)I could get a 29 pound spring from Wollf Gun Springs. I ordered two of them and they arrived Monday afternoon in the mail. It rained here on Thursday and I had to take Kare to a doctors visit so the morning was pretty much shot as far as doing a major project so I removed the blot from the 54 call And tore it down. I had did that once before about 2005 when I installed the Canadian 209 primer kit and removed the # 11 cap stricker. Is a fairly simple job of screwing a tool that was supplied with the primer comnverstion kit on to the bolt face compress the spring then push the striker down on a hard object so a folk can be sliped in place to hold all the tenstion so I could drive a tiny pin out.Once that is out you unscrew the stricker and the old spring is loose.
the new spring is at least one inch longer than the old one. I buffed all the parts installed the new spring and it is ready to have me shoot test it. I should mention we make our own snap caps with those tiny mecianal pencil ereasers they fit where a 209 primer goes and with a tiny hole work on a #11 nipple and fit into small and large rifle case primer pockets. One down and one to go.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 05-04-2014 at 04:47 AM.