HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PA Game Commission Finally
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

I know they wanted to reduce the herd but their method of doing so was not thought out thoroughly. I am not a biologist but even I know that the areas (WMUs) were too large to selectively harvest animals where they were over populated. We all know there are 'pockets' of large numbers of deer in certain area and very few in other areas within a given WMU. And this is due to private land without hunter access or within residential areas were hunting with a firearm is too dangerous to the residents.
Issuing X number of tags to a WMUs put a strain on the animals on public land and did not affect the population of those on private land. That and the fact that some (I hate to use the term) hunters would buy as many tags as they could just so they could say they killed so many deer. Even though they didn't need to. Some guys I know killed so many that they couldn't even give the meat away. Shameful in my opinion.
But we hunters have been telling the PGC for years that the deer herd was extremely low but they wouldn't hear it.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-25-2014 at 04:20 PM.