HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - fixing up my grand fathers 98k
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 07:21 PM
double ott bill
Spike

while i do agree i paid a lot to get the gun in shape, he is the only gunsmith within 150 miles of me, it did have a lot of rust and the trigger was way too sloppy for hunting, so it had to be done and i prefer that work done by a professional, as i dont have the tools or experience to take it apart myself.

the gun has sentimental value to me, and i would have spent 500 on a savage if i went the new route, so i chose to fix up a family gun, capable of taking down any large game on this continent. my father will soon be giving me his old ruger .270 once he feels he wont hunt with it anymore, so i will cover both ends of the spectrum with handed down guns within the family. the only problem is i need a rifle to hunt elk in CO now.

as far as the scope and mounts go, i may just try to shim a new scope into the current rings and see how well it holds zero before i get too crazy and spend too much more money. i just fear those old mounts may not hold zero and weaver said they were bought out and no longer carry parts for something so old, so the 400 would be to tap new scope mounts and install a new scope, which is something i really hope to avoid.

Last edited by double ott bill; 04-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.