HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I can't close the distance.
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Some of my hunting consists of cuttings and getting to where they are holding up at can be difficult to say the least. I will find a skidder road or an old logging road to set up in around 200 yards of where they are. I tend to stay back from the clear cuts some what. Because if they are in the opening they will either hear you or see you coming. I will try a call before setting up to see if any answers it. If one does I set up and go no farther. Once set up and I am in a spot that gives me the cover I will try another call. Then I stay put and wait it out for a while. Around 20 minutes later I will try another call and wait. Even if the tom gobbles back just stay and wait there. Do not keep calling to him or he will go another direction. Most of my birds I have shot has been between 9:30 and 11:00. I am thinking it is because they are moving around a again looking for more hens??

I hope this helps. Also I want to add that my biggest bird last year never answered a single call. 2 Toms showed up with 3 hens and I had heard nothing at all. They just showed up and while I was trying to see which tom was the biggest one of them looked straight at me.. Needless to say I thought he may have seen me so I took him out with out any waiting to see if the other one was bigger or not.. Good Luck getting a Tom and remember to stay safe and enjoy the hunt..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-16-2014 at 02:54 PM.