HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifle Build
Thread: Rifle Build
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
This would get you a rifle that should be much better than a factory rig for somewhere in the $1,500 range.
Depends on the smith that puts it together. Not all smiths are created equally.

But yeah, before optics, using a donor action, you should comfortably be able to get into a donor action, cheap stock, and reasonable barrel, then have it all put together for around $1500.

But, to be honest, if I were going that route (and I have), I'd consider one of two options:

Using a donor action, I would start on a Savage action so I could forego the cost of having a gunsmith do the installation of the barrel and stock. This is my prefered method for hunting rifles these days. Finish inletting and bedding a stock isn't rocket science, and installing and headspacing Shilen drop in barrels for the Savage are almost too easy. Set of go/no-go gauges and a barrel nut wrench and you're golden.

Using a 700 pattern action, I'd bite the bullet and spend an extra $700-800 on a custom action rather than building on the donor. Starting with a factory action, you'll always want to do something new, truing faces, sleeving for concentricity, heavier recoil lug, etc etc etc... By the time you have a 700 action trued, you've spent more than a custom action. A 700 pattern like the Stiller Predator can still be had for around $1200, basically a turn-key solution for a trued and blueprinted 700 action, and will bolt into the same 700 stocks and barrel patterns as any other 700.

Or, for a whole lot cheaper than any of that, just buy ANY .270win (or .30-06, or .25-06, or any other long action '06 bolt face action) stainless rifle and have a new barrel installed. $400-500ish for the new barrel installed, and you get to sell the take off barrel to recoup some value.