HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats the biggest buck youve ever killed?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

The biggest I've taken was a PA buck. He had 8 pts and was bout 210 lbs. But, I admit I usually don't go for bucks and take a couple of does for meat. If I do take a buck I normally go for a younger deer since I value the quality of the meat more than I do the size of the antlers.

The single biggest buck I've ever seen was a mulie my grandfather shot when I was 10 in my native CO. He had 4 pts on one side and 6 on the other with a 42 inch outside spread. Field dressed and with the lower legs taken off at the hocks he went 302 lbs on a livestock scale. I'm pretty sure he would have been close to 400 live weight. When we hung him in the garage next to an average 3x3 mulie my father shot, if you didn't know better you would swear it was a cow elk. I've never seen another one like it and probably never will.

As to the deer the OP is talking about, I'm having a hard time believing he got a deer that heavy in AL. I've hunted both Al and FL quite a bit and I've only seen 2 or 3 that might have topped 200. Southern deer normally don't have the body mass of northern deer. I may buy off on 250 as a max weight, but I'd have to see a good pic of the buck to even begin to buy over 300 based on my experience.

Mind you, I'm not saying it isn't true mind you but I think anyone taking a buck that big in AL would have a buttload of pictures of such an animal. And there hasn't been a pic posted and he originated the thread.

Last edited by flags; 03-23-2014 at 05:50 AM.