HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Help Planning Moose Transport from Alberta to the US
Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM
buffybr
Typical Buck

I've done two Canadian and one Alaskan fly in hunts and brought the antlers/horns, capes and at least some of the meat home on each of them.

On the two Canadian hunts, I drove my pickup/camper to Edmonton (which was still a long one day or two day drive from my home in Montana), then flew to Norman Wells or Inuvik from there.

I shot caribou on all three of those hunts, and back then the points had to be protected and the antlers enclosed in plastic. Duck tape, cardboard and/or empty 12 ga shotgun shells do a good job of covering the antler points. On two of the trips I split the antlers, but on the last trip, one of the bulls qualified for B&C so I brought them back whole. Also on that trip we stopped at Norman Wells, and there were a lot of whole moose antlers loaded on the plane there.

On my Canadian trips I took a medium size cooler and brought back 50 lbs of the choicer meat. On my last Canadian trip I brought back the whole Muskox skin and the capes of two caribou. All of that was frozen and in one very large (and heavy) cardboard box. That was about 10 years ago, and Air Canada (or Canadian Air?) was very good about it. I don't think US airlines would be as understanding.

I would strongly recommend driving, at least into Canada, and only bringing only one cooler of meat home.