HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st deer stories....let' s hear some.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2003, 10:58 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1st deer stories....let' s hear some.

Mine was 12 on a doe mulie youth tag. My uncle had decided this would be the perfect way to get my whistle wet and turned out to be a fairly easy hunt as after passing 3 does and faws sets(my uncle said never shoot a doe with her babies, something that has stuck with me till today some 22 years later)I took a nice single doe at 125 yards with a 308 win. not 1/2 hour into opening morning. I was shaking like a leaf and forgot to touch the safety off for the first attempt, I connected on my second shot but pulled it just a tad hitting her right in the base of the neck. Damn I could have sworn I was aiming behind her front shoulder!!! Things got better that first year as opening morning of whitetails I took my first buck a basket rack 3 x 3 with a clean heart shot at 50 yards. On the weds while walking back to the truck for lunch the call of nature struck my dad, as he scurried off to find a log to squat on, unknown to him was a nice 4x4 buck and he pushed him out on the cutline about 100 yards in front of me, the buck looked right at me without wasting much time I placed a bullet in his lungs and was tagged out for my first biggame season. I certainly owe a lot to my uncle and dad for that first year, they both worked very hard to ensure I was in the right place at the right time and took me to the range a lot to make sure I was comfortable with the rifle. However it was beginners luck, cuz since then it sure hasn' t got any easier. It did light a fire under my butt and I paid my uncle back a number of years later help him tag a big mulie buck and his first/only bull elk before he passed.