HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help Understanding Shotgun Chokes
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Bulletproof_JBE
Spike

Originally Posted by clayshooter25
Keep in mind that even though your 16 ga. is older and therefore does not accept interchangable choke tubes, it is still "choked". That is to say, it has a certain amount of predetermined constriction at the muzzle end of the barrel. You should be able to determine what that constriction is from imprinting somewhere on the barrel (not the receiver). Depending on what that turns out to be, you can decide if it is more appropriate for upland birds (Improved Cylinder or Modified) or for turkey (improved modified or full). I doubt it will turn out to be extra full.

Tell us what you find and we can probably help you decipher the choke if it isn't apparent.

By the way, if the gun is that old you probably want to make sure NOT to use any steel shot (as the barrel can be ruined by it). As you probably know, steel shot is required when hunting for waterfowl. I realize you didn't mention this as your intended prey, but I wouldn't want you to ruin your gun or worse be injured if you use the wrong type of shot.

I hope you enjoy upland birds as much as I do - - Best of luck!
Yeah the only writing I can find on the gun is on the barrel near the action. It says...

Deerslayer
Model 37-Featherlight 16ga-2 3/4 Chamber-Proof Tested Ithaca gun CO, INC Ithaca NY -Made in the USA ROTO FORGED

Here is a pic of the end of the barrel. Feels smooth. The barrel on this gun is for sure smaller than the 20ga Remington.