HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Turkey Hunting---Question about Decoys
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM
buckman11
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bulletproof_JBE
Well Im brand new to Turkey Hunting, going to give it a try this year in May here in NY. Just looking for some opinions here.

Whats the best basic setup I can use as far as Decoys go? Here in NY for Spring Turkey hunt we can shoot 2 bearded Turkeys during the Springtime.

Decoys range anywheres from about 15-20 bucks a Decoy up hundreds of dollars for just one decoy. The cheaper rubber ones seem to be what im looking for as they would be much easier to fit right inside my backpack and haul out to the field with ease, but is there a reason why theyre so cheap?

Also, how many Decoys should I use? 2, 3, 4? Hen? Jake? Tom?

Also looking for a basic call for a newbie Turkey Hunter. I went to Dicks the other day, theres an entire shelf of nothing but Turkey calls. Seems extremely overwhelming to me.

Thanks for any advice
here is my setup. 1 feeding hen decoy, 1 standing decoy, 1 mating hen decoy, & a flextone funkey chicken jake decoy. i setup the jake a few feet behind the mating hen decoy like its fixin to breed it. and i set the feeding & standing hen off to the side aways. the beuty of the funky chicken is that its so wimpy no tom is afraid of it but if he sees it tryin to breed one of his hens he gets all over him real quick. i also do not spend alot of money on my decoys. the feeding hen is $20 dollars from walmart, the standing hen is a $10 dollar foam decoy, the mating hen is the montana decoys TEASER hen, its $25 off amazon. and the funky chicken is $30 from walmart or flextone.com