HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 for hogs
Thread: .243 for hogs
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 PM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

I'm willing to bet that more than 98% of the game that is lost is lost simply because the shooter didn't do their job right and put the bullet in the right place.
Bingo, Chief!!!!

Used to track a few wounded elk and a dozen or so wounded deer for folks every year. The vast majority of those animals were gutshot. The hunters stories were mostly a variation of: "I don't understand, i double lunged that (check one) deer/elk. A few hunters would fess to a gutshot.

Contrary to the opinions expressed by some on internet boards, hogs ain't rhinos and they are not covered by a layer homogeneous armor plate. i've killed mature boar hogs that went over 300 pounds using a .223 and the 53 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullet. That bullet penetrates the "shield" and the shoulder of big boar hogs.

This boar was killed with a 250 grain SST bullet from my .50 caliber muzzleloader. That bullet is often maligned by muzzleloader hunters as unsuitable for deer because it is rumored to come apart. This boar measured over 19" through the shoulders. The bullet was found between the "shield" and skin on the far side. Hog ran full tilt for about 100 yards after being hit.

Last edited by falcon; 02-25-2014 at 05:03 AM.