HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Everyone who has hunted in Illinois longer than 10 years. A MUST read!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM
browtine7
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IL_ray_phillips
Browtine I have leases in Illinois and Kentucky. I noticed the number of deer down in Kentucky just as Illinois. Generally as a rule I would see 10 to 1 deer in Ky. Not this year it ran pretty even. I seen a lot less doe in both states. I killed a 120 inch velvet 8 point in Ky because I never taken a buck in velvet. I didn't see much in KY with antler after that. Illinois was also way down on doe but I seen some very good bucks missing 1 in the 160's and passing on a 140's that will be a toad this year. Also seen 10 bucks at 2 years old to 1 doe in IL. I think a lot of it is area specific also. How many kill em all mentality you have hunting and taking every animal that moves. From what I have read MO and IN are way down on numbers also. Something up with Midwest deer herd and not sure what it is. I didn't see a lot of EHD but numbers are down. So im leaning more towards low birth rate and over issue of doe permits.
I know what you mean. I live in Mississippi and this was the worst year I have had in a long time both in quanity and quality!!!!!