HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scope Mount for Winchester 94
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 01:45 PM
ckell
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
My biggest problem is my eye sight. It is not getting any better. I ended up putting the 2.5x Tasco scope. It is easy to acquire the sight and I have taken many deer with this setup. I did see that Burris has an add for putting one of there fast fire red dots on a lever gun. I can see that working. I do have a peep sight on my 1886 and that isn't too bad to line up for me.

Nice looking gun. The sights are low profile, as are most lever guns, the cheek will go to the same spot on the stock each time you shoulder the gun, then you can get good cheek weld. Put a scope on there, you must elevate your head higher, moving where the cheek will rest on the stock, often times not the cheek at all, so your eye will not line up in relation to height and distance from the gun and stock and line of the bore each time, as well as the scope. It doesn’t take much of a difference, head cocked, gun tilt, to make a bigger difference in bullet impact on target. Your picture is a good example, if you imagine your cheek, about one inch or so back from where the comb starts and where your eye would be in line down the barrel and sights from there. Now imagine moveing your head up in relation to the heigth of a scope above the line of sight down the barrel and where your cheek would be to do that.

I have had very good sight most of my life. Now age is affecting that, I now wear glasses. I can still pass the eye test for driving without glasses, distance vision. But for reading and open sights found it difficult to get a good sight picture. When I went to the optometrist, I told him my distance vision was not the real problem, it was reading and that when I shoot I find it hard to acquire a good sight picture. A well fitting/fitted pair of no line bifocals has fixed that. Just enough adjustment on top as it does not affect my distance, but clears the near vision, and transitions into the lower for reading.

Last edited by ckell; 02-10-2014 at 02:02 PM.