HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lease for the season or buy 5 day hunt from outfitter?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Tnhunter444
Fork Horn

As someone who has land that's apparently excellent hunting grounds, you will have a lot to learn before making a decision. I'd be curious to know just how much land your family owns & controls. As far as leasing it or selling hunts, I'd suggest you not lease it, at least at first.

My reasoning lies in the fact that your (and your family?) are not experienced hunters or even experienced with hunting methods & ethics. It might be a simple matter for someone with more $$ than ethics to lease your land and have it end up becoming a nightmare. By selling hunts YOU control who and especially how many hunters on on your land at one time.

By limiting the number of hunters and having some rules of "engagement" for those hunters to follow, I believe you'll have much more control as to what goes on hunting-wise. Unless you gain a good handle on the quantity and especially the quality of deer (and turkey) present on your lands, you may not get the same price others might in a state known for big deer (and quality turkey hunting) like Kansas is.

Rest assured, however, if your land does hold good numbers of large bucks word will quickly spread and "selling" your hunts may become much more lucrative. Another suggestion might be to find a local person well versed in hunting in that area and have him (her?) take a thorough look at your property and make some informed suggestions as to stand locations, deer management on the property and how many hunters could, in fact experience a quality deer hunt on your property each year.

If you do indeed own a large enough parcel that is also excellent deer habitat, you could be missing out on some good income potential if you do not attempt to sell quality hunts there, IMHO.