HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ring necks at a farm
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM
westMDbowhunter
Fork Horn

Default Ring necks at a farm

Hey everyone,
Hope your hunts have been successful this winter.
I have been hunting grouse by myself no dog. Traversing logging roads at a snails pace gets the job done for me.
My grandfather talks of seeing many wild ringnecks back in the day. I would like to harvest a few with him for the memories. he's not up for traveling however there is an upland preserve not far from our home. My main inquiry is how do these "preserves" conduct their hunts? I'm a fair chase hunter who hunts squirrel grouse and whitetail. I am proud of that.
Idk if anyone understands where I'm coming from on this one.
Does anyone go and shoot birds at these places? I'm afraid to even call it hunting as it seems to me to be more on the level of shooting your neighbors chickens and paying him a premium to do so.
I just don't know.
I guess I'm mainly interested in how a place like that operates and how me and my grandfather would feel about our "hunt" after the fact, being the true sportsman we are.
A second small one, Im western md, where is the closest huntable wild populations of ringnecks?? this is only for future solo missions I am mainly interested in the hunt with pap