HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First year duck hunting....
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 PM
mrl0004
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Doc E
Nice pictures and great story !

But you said, "Went to get it and discovered it was a drake green winged teal! I wish I could have had it mounted, but I basically shot its bottom half off."

"I can identify a duck easily, but not to the point of what kind of duck just yet."

"It turned out to be a hen scaup. Not sure if it's a greater or lesser."

You need to get a good Duck Identification book (booklet) and study it well before next season.
Many states have a limit on exactly how many of which species or sex can be shot -- or not shot at all.
Duck ID (before you even shoot) is your next step -- Then and only then will you be allowed to enter SODA (Society of Duck Addicts).

Keep up the good work.

You are correct. I know the possession limits for individual birds, but it's still tough to identify them exactly in flight for me. I know what every duck "should" look like regarding feathers, etc., but I'm not shooting them in slow motion. The problem is when they're flying it's tough to discern species at what seems like mach speed. I can usually identify a duck post shot from binocs if I don't go get it immediately, so I can keep up with what I've shot pretty well. I then only shoot if I'm sure what species I'm shooting. I'm still hunting with more experienced people that can identify them for me and help me learn. No teacher like experience!

Last edited by mrl0004; 02-02-2014 at 04:00 PM.