HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best press for a newbie
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

For a newbie, a turret press is the best option, in my opinion. Lee Classic Turret is the one I use now, very happy with it.

What makes a turret press great for a newbie:
  • Remove the auto-indexer and it will operate like a single stage press. You can run all of your brass through one at a time to safely and surely execute each step of the process in batches.
  • Unlike a single stage press, you can turn ON the autoindexer and in 4 pulls, have a loaded round without removing the case.
  • You can LEAVE THE DIES IN THE TURRETS, and eliminate a LOT of wasted time resetting your dies to proper sizing depth, seating depth, or crimp. You can do the same with a single stage bushing press, but if you add up the cost of bushing compared to turrets, the turret is the better option. I have several turrets for my Lee (I think 8 or 9 now) that I leave different sets of dies for different cartridges installed, properly metered, all the time, ready to go.
  • Not much, if any really, more expensive than the single stage press. $100 or $110 for the Lee Classic Turret Press.
I still have my first press, a Lee Anniversary Challenger Single Stage Press, mounted on my bench beside my Turret press, set up with a universal decapping die. All it does is decap, then the brass hits the ultrasonic cleaner. Then I prime the whole batch with a Lee Autoprimer, resize the batch, charge the batch, seat, then crimp, all in the turret, all in batches.