HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Blackhorn 209 year end shot
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

Default Blackhorn 209 year end shot

This year I made the switch from T7 pellets to Blackhorn 209 100 grains, with 250 shockwave unbonded in the factory supplied black sabot and lighting off with FED 209A primers. I made the switch in both my Kodiak & Triumph due to the crud rung I experienced with T7 (more in the Kodiak then the Triumph).

I hunted this year with the Triumph and after missing a ten point in early December, I reloaded and connected on a doe a week and a half later. Between those times, I hunted in rain, sleet, snow, freezing tempuratures warming up to the mid 30's etc... I would simply put the gun in the case and leave it in my garage when I was done hunting. It fired perfectly and killed the doe.

After the doe, I dry swabbed the barrel and it looked so clean, I simply reloaded again and hunted to the end of the season. No shots since then, but all the conditions the same nasty weather conditions were present. This past weekend, I set out a 6" x 6" piece of pressure treated wood on a stump at 100 yards to unload the gun. I was aiming at a price sticker in the center of the board and hit 3/4" right and 1/2" high. Again, no hesitation or failure to fire. Cleaned the gun with Hoppes 9 and didnot notice any corrosion or other problems.

I have read so many posts about Blackhorn failing to fire that I had my concerns. Especially when I was one of the people who bought in to APP sticks only to get failure after failure. Overall I am extremely happy with this powder and the change to powder from pellets. I do not shoot enough to have price be a concern. If anyone is still on the fence about making the switch, I would recommend it, but make sure your breechplug can shoot the powder and you use the correct primers.

Just thought I would offer a field report and I will try and upload a picture of the wood block.